Murg Shalgam ka Salan | Chicken n Turnip Curry


 Turnip or Shalgam is a root vegetable which is very high in Vitamin C and is available mostly in Winter Season. In India, it is consumed a lot in the northern parts of India. When I cook the vegetable as it is, nobody eats it. Hence, I always combine it with chicken. It gives chicken a very good taste and turnip or shalgam becomes more bearable.



Well I didn’t discover this dish. Years ago, one day when I returned from office, I found a big lunch box filled with turnip/chicken right infron of my door. I opened the door and took the box inside thinking either my neighbour or our landlord might have left it for me which was a general habit of them. I was elated that I didn’t have to cook dinner . I just rolled out some Rotis and as we were set to eat dinner, our landlord barged to check if we have seen her dinner box. I felt embarrassed to have assumed it was for us. I have always been careful since then.. Fortunately/Unfortunately I learnt a great tasting recipe that day.


What You Need:


3 turnips, peeled and cubes
200 grams chicken
2 green chilies chopped
2 small tomatoes chopped
1 big onion chopped
½ inch ginger and 6-7 garlic pods crushed
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds



Steps To Make:

Heat oil in pan. Add cumin seeds, green chilies ,crushed ginger , garlic and chopped onions.
Once, onion turns brown, add tomatoes and all powdered spices. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add turnip and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the chicken pieces, salt , 1 cup water and cook on low for 10 minutes.
Turnip with chicken will be ready to eat with soft rotis.
Garnish with coriander leaves

10 comments:

  1. Such a tempting curry..never tried chicken & turnip together..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Different combo, never tried, looks yumm. Will try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally new to me soma............curry looks mouth watering dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy curry dear!
    We add turnip to mutton curry, should try adding it to chicken:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. New one for me! Looks and sounds yummy.
    Will def give it a shot, one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This curry sounds interesting...love the combo of chicken with turnip...looks yummy Soma :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so Much Beena for alwys appreciating

    ReplyDelete