Eid mubarak to All... Make Mutton Yakhni Pulao Straight from Awadh





Awadhi cuisine is the cuisine of Lucknow , the land of Nawabs and is famous for its delicate flavours.It is famous for its Kebabs and Biryani. The dum style of cooking also falls under Awadhi Cuisine.
Yakhni Pulao is also one of the very famous and tradional Awadhi Recipe which has simple and subtle flavours and gives best taste when cooked in Sudh Desi Ghee.
The aroma of Basmati Rice and Tender Meat cooked in Awadi Style is very difficult to explain.Team it up with some flavoured Raita and I promise, you will have a meal to remember for long.



What You Need to Make a meal for 4:

3 cups Basmati rice soaked in water for 30 minutes and drained to remove extra starch.
500 grams mutton pieces
1 tsp saunf or fennel seeds
1 tsp Shahi Jeera or cumin seeds
2 onions cut into julians
1 tbsp ginger crushed
1 tbsp garli crushed
1 cup beaten hung curd
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt to Taste
2 bay leaf
4 to 5 whole black pepper
3 green cardamom
2 black cardamom
1 cinnamon stick
1 star mace
Ghee of clarified butter 2 and 1/2 tbsp
1 tsp dry mint leaves
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves



Steps To Make:

Cooking meat is our 1st priority. It takes time and hence we shall be using a pressure cooker to cook it fast.
So lets start with heating about 1 tbsp ghee in pressure cooker.
Add the whole spices, followed by ginger garlic paste and then mutton cubes.
Stir nicely so ghee coats mutton from all sides.
Add 2 cups of water and 1 tbsp salt.Put on the lid and cook meat for 10 minutes on medium to low flame.
We need to cook mutton till that point when its only 90% done as the rest 10% we shall be cooking together with rice.
Switch off the flame and allow pressure to drop completely.
Strain mutton and keep water aside.

Next we will cook the rice. Add about 4 to 5 glass of water in a pan and bring it to boil.
Add 1/2 tbsp ghee to it. Add pinch of salt. Be careful as more salt can break your rice.
Pour in the washed and soaked rice. cook for about 5 to 6 minutes and rice will be half done or half cooked.

Now we begin to put ingredients together and it can tricky.
Heat remaining ghee in a kadai.
Cook onions in ghee till it turns pink.
Then add the strained mutton pieces.Mix well. Cook on high till you see mutton getting a nice glaze.
Beat curd, lemon, coriander and mint together. ALways keep some hung curd in your kitchen as it reduces the cooking time as theres no water in it.
Curd will help you to bring a nice balance to the recipe. Mint will give the required freshness to the dish and so will coriander leaves.
Cover and cook mutton for 4 to 5 minutes.
Now add the half cooked rice to it.Add thestrained mutton stock, salt to taste.
Check before adding as we had cooked mutton in salt and also added salt while cooking rice.
Cover and cook till rice is nicely cooked in mutton stock.
Your delicious mutton yakhni pulao is ready to enjoy.

12 comments:

  1. Dear Soma,

    I dunno why, I couldnt publish your comment...maybe some technical error from my side. Between you tried to alert me with a link saying 'someone copied my pictures in their site'...can you redirect it to me once again, please. I greatly appreciate your help. Thank you.

    Mutton Pilaf looks delicious....love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow............delicious mutton pilaf dear.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mutton pilaf is my fav food...Love it.urs ooks very tempting....makes me hungry deaw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my all time favourite!! I can never say "No" to this one!! I enjoy it with a raita!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow........my favourite, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dish. I am nostalgic and really hungry now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its my fav too Datta. U r always welcome at my house..

    ReplyDelete

  8. May the blessings of Allah be with you and your family. Happy Eid! :) I would love to send my Islam friends some wonderful Eid Mubarak greetings

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading the recipe & viewing the images, my Mouth started watering. Going to try out this awesome recipe
    chowringhee

    ReplyDelete