Hyderabad Okra Pilaf / Bhindi Pulao / Bendakaya Pulao


This is an unusual Pulao Recipe from the Princely State of India. A few years ago a friend of mine got this in his lunch box prepared by his mother. I tasted it and liked it instantly.
Since then I was always looking forward to make this recipe. Time passed and I forgot about it until recently it happened that I had few Okras sitting in the corner of refrigerator. 
It was not sufficient to make a fry .I recalled this recipe and started remembering all the ingredients which I had tasted when I had it last. I am not sure if I have used everything in right proportion but it tasted very very similar.
Years have passed and my memory has faded . However, it tasted delicious. I highly recommend you all to taste this recipe atleast once.


What You Need to make rice for 3-4 people:

1 and 1/2 cup rice
300 grams Okra
2 onions
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 tbsp grated coconut
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
Salt to taste
Few curry leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 green cardamom
3 cloves
2 bay leaf
Juice of 1 lemon

Steps To Make:

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan.
Add the large chunks of Okra. Cook them on high till its semi cooked.
Do not add salt to it. This will help you cook Okra fast and remove all sliminess instantly


Heat oil in a wok or Dekchi
Start by adding all the dry whole spices (bay leaf, cloves, green cardamom) followed by mustard, cumin and fennel seeds.


Let it crackle. Add green chilies, curry leaves and onion julians and grated coconut


Once the onions turn brown, add cooked okra, turmeric powder, red chili powder and cumin powder.
Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.


Add cooked rice, check for seasoning and mix well.
Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes more.


Your Okra Rice is ready to be served with the curd/yogurt dip of your choice.Sprinkle Lemon Juice. 
Is not is simple.




2 comments: