Celebrate Raksha Bandhan with Mild Sweet Dish - Rice and Green Moong Daal Jaggery Pongal



Happy Raksha Bandhan to All Brother and Sister. A special day for all Bhai Behen Jodis and some times Bhai Bhai Jodis or Behen Behen Jodis who don’t have a Behen or Bhai. I remember one particular raksha bandhan when my elder brother gave me 2 rupees and took 1 rupee back because he used to tie rakhi on my wrist. I was that naïve little girl who could easily be bullied and fooled ;)


Also, if you are born in 80's or 90's and in school, you had to say the National Pledge- How many of you said those 2-3 little words extra : All Indians are my brothers and sisters EXCEPT ### or kept your fingers crossed :D :D :D .. Those cute funny things we do sure bring a smile on our face now. I dont know if kids still practice it ;)

Below I share a picture captured during one my trip to Goa of this cute little brother sister Jodi . Look at them—Pure Love and so innocent. Sorry Mommy. I didn’t take your permission . God bless them and keep their mutual love intact in all the coming years.


and another jodi captured in a super market



And then follows a simple sweet recipe on Raksha Bandhan for my super health conscious bro –

I have no name for the recipe. I made it by sheer gut feeling that it is going to taste Ok. Being a taurun, I have my usual bout of sweet cravings . With my frequent past visits to dentist I have reduced my Chocolate Intake not that I am looking here for some weight reduction. It is a simple recipe with a very earthy taste. I do not know if it can be called sweet pongal . Though, I have got the inspiration from it. If there is actually a recipe, I would appreciate if you give me its real name and I will update my Blog

What you will need for this chocolate like looking recipe:

½ cup kolam rice roasted

½ cup green moong daal roasted

1 cup jaggery (Coconut Palm)

2 cardamom

Handful of Cashew Nuts

Handful of Raisins

1 tbsp grated coconut

Pinch of freshly ground pepper

1 tbsp ghee


Steps To Make:

Pressure cook Rice and Green Moong Daal with 2 and half cup of water for 10 to 15 minutes.

In a separate pan, heat 1 cup of water. Add jiggery to it and let it melt.

Add green cardamom and crushed pepper to it.

Add this mixture to rice and daal mixture.

Heat ghee in a tempering pan.

Fry Cashew nuts and Raisins separately.

Add rice and daal mixture.

Cook till you get your desired consistency. Ideally it should be a little watery.

Once it cools down, it will be perfect for you to eat.

5 comments: