Mutton Keema | Mince Meat cooked with Green Peas | Bittergourd Stuffed with Mince Meat | Bittergourd Stuffed with Soy Mince | मटन कीमा


Though a hard core mutton lover, I was introduced to keema or mince meat only after my marriage :-O  .

I learnt to make Mutton Keema seeing my MIL cooking for a Sunday Lunch, a great cook who learnt it seeing her MIL cook, who again is an amazing cook. Some of their cooking skills must have rubbed off on me as I had many disasters in kitchen couple of years after my Marriage. I will not call it a family recipe though.

We all meat lovers especially of goat meat, know how challenging it can be to purchase good meat pieces from your local butcher if you are buying a small portion of meat. It comes expensive..around Rs 500/kg(current rate in Pune as of 2014) and nobody wants to end up buying mere bones and lean meat even after paying a hefty price.  The butcher near our place where we are a regular, makes us buy the entire Back Leg , which we call "THE RAAN" and makes a face if made any special demand as if we have asked for his own Gurda aka Kidney :P

Since, it is only me and my husband who have to eat the approximately 1.5 kilos of meat ( Am I sounding like an ANIMAL Now :S ), we ask him to mince 1/3rd of it and make small pieces of the rest. BTW, I have no issues seeing meat chopped in front of me and cleaning meat is my favorite cooking task :D ..So the 1st day we make mutton curry with mustard oil ( Mansa Jhola or Mutton Salan). The 2nd day, we add fresh methi or fenugreek leaves to the same left over curry and make methi mutton , a fantastic dish with delightful aroma and then after a few days (to get a good break), prepare Mutton Keema with some Green Peas. I would pack Mutton Keema with Roti for my hubby in his tiffin and for me, I generally stuff them in de-seeded Karela/Bittergourd .It simply makes my week.  Now I have to have  a good amount of gap before we purchase another RAAN and face the ever cranky butcher man.

What You Need:

Mutton Keema 300 grams
Mustard Oil 3 tbsp
Green Cardamom 2
Cloves 3
Whole Black Pepper 4
Freshly Ground Ginger Garlic Paste 3 tsp
Turmeric Powder 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder 1 tsp
Salt To taste
Green Peas 1/2 cup
Onions Finely Chopped 2
Tomatoes Finely Chopped 3
Fresh Coriander Leaves Chopped 3
2 green chilies roughly chopped

Steps to Make:

Heat mustard oil on high flame till the smoking point .
Add all the whole spices and green chilies.
Add onions , ginger garlic paste and cook till it turns brown.
Add chopped tomatoes, mince meat, green peas and mix.
Cover and cook on low flame for 10 15 minutes.
Open lid, add salt, garam masala and mix again.
Cover and cook till mutton is well cooked.
Sprinkle Coriander Leaves and Mix well before you serve them with cut lime and Phulka.







Bitter gourd Stuffed with Mince Meat | Bitter gourd Stuffed with Soy Mince


I have put a picture of the Mince Meat Stuffed Bitter gourd clicked randomly just before I put them in my lunch box today. To give you a quick recap, in case you are interested to have this combination, make  a deep cut along the length of bitter gourd. Pressure cook the bitter gourds with enough water and a pinch of salt for 2 whistles. Switch off flame and allow pressure to drop. Drain the bitter gourd and remove the seeds with a spoon. Since they are semi cooked, removing seeds will be much easy now. Having cooked with salt water, the bitterness will also be reduced. Stuff the bitter gourd with cooked mince mutton. Tie with thread to prevent meat from coming out. Add some oil in a pan. Cook whole bitter gourd from all sides. Remove thread, Cut into Half and server with Roti/Phulka.



Note: Don't evaluate this recipe by looks . This is a Pakistani recipe which I learnt to make from the Meat Shop Owner who hailed from Pakistan from whom we used to purchase meat during our short stay in the States . He would give me a new mutton recipe from his country every time I went to his shop. May be that's what kept me going back again and again to his shop only .

For vegetarians, if at all you happen to read this post, please replace soy mince with meat and it will taste equally great.

3 comments: