Tiramisu Cake on 500th Post






This is my 500th post.  I am proud of the way the blog has shaped so far. I know it still needs some improvement and I am working on it as and when time permits.

I wanted to make Tiramisu when I complete 500 recipes. Why Tiramisu, because this is my favorite dessert.

1st time I had this dessert in New York. It was a chocolate flavored , ladies finger coated tiramisu cake.
My colleagues said it was made up of ladies finger and I thought wow… Can you actually make a cake out of ladies finger. Little did I know that ladies fingers are soft cake biscuits .( In India, Okra is known as ladies finger). So you know why I was kind of jolted then.

Tiramisu is a simple dessert  to make with multiple steps. If you have everything in front of you organized, it will be ready in few hours.

Step 1: Make a pound cake.
2 cups cake flour
1 cup powdered fine sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs
3/4th cup olive oil  or  1 cup butter
2 tsp baking powder + 1 tsp baking soda
1 cup milk or 1 cup sour creme

To bake the perfect pound cake :
Preheat oven at 180 degree centigrade for 10 minutes
Sieve flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda together.
Gently whisk oil, milk or sour creme, eggs and vanilla essence with a fork or egg beater.
Add the dry ingredients 1 tbsp at a time, whisking gently with beater.
Once, you have folded in all the flour and mixed, whisk with an electric beater for 8-9 minutes.
Grease baking tray. Pour in the batter.
Bake for 35-40 minutes at 180 degree centigrade in a pre-heated oven.
Do a tooth pick test to see if it comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool down completely before you remove from tin.
Cut the cake into two parts. Use a thread to cut it across if you cannot cut into two using a knife. I used a knife and hence , I didn’t get two equal parts .



Step 2: For the espresso syrup
Boil 2 tbl spoon water and add 2 tbsp espresso powder (instant coffee powder. I used nestle). Allow it to cool down.
Boil ½ cup water and add 3 tbsp sugar to it till it mixes.
Allow it to cool down.
Add 2 tsp of espresso extract to the sugar syrup



Step 3: Cook egg yolks
Separate egg white and egg yolk. Whisk together with 3 tbsp powdered sugar. Put a double boiler on gas.
Pour egg mixture into it and cook till it turns pale yellow in color.



Step 4 : Frosting
1 cup whipping creme
8 oz creme cheese
3 tbsp powdered sugar
Whisk creme cheese , sugar together. Add egg yolk mixture and 1 tsp espresso extract. Mix well.
Whip whipped creme in ice bath till it turns into soft peaks. Mix whipping creme and creme cheese together.






Step 5: Layering
Take one layer of cake. Brush  with espresso sugar syrup.
Apply a generous amount of creme. Layer evenly.
Put the second layer. Brush with espresso sugar syrup.
Cover the cake with remaining frosting. Dust with coco powder. Allow it to set in fridge before you cut into pieces.



4 comments:

  1. my fav dessert too! but is nt it a bit too complicated to make at home? mebbe not for a pro like you :) but surely for a survival cook like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. pics looks so good...worth making this yummy dessert...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beleive Me Amrita ..it is easy to make. Only thing u need is time, ingredients and an electric beater. Dont even think of making this with handmade whippers.

    ReplyDelete