Davangere Spongy Set Dosa




Do you play Cards ? When I was kid and went to my Nana's house during summer vacation, I would play the game of Sets day in and day out with anybody and everybody I could catch hold off.
And I always won. No I didnt keep any bets then but played only for fun. But I was very very good at it. Infact I played 29 and bridge even better.

And my whole family and extended family were very very good at Bridge and 29. It takes real brains to play this game.All family get togethers must end with a game of 29.

I would always  plead to pair with my Brother and he would never make me his partner. So I would be angry and team up with my cousins or Aunty/Uncle and if I won would show off of my good luck.

Unfortunately I have forgotten the two beautiful games today. Even today we play cards but our games have changed now to Bluff - its again a big memory game but is much easier to explain and convince others to play.

I think the Set Dosa has been inspired from the game or the game is inspired from the set.
Else, why is Set Dosa made up of 3 dosa only. Why is Set Dosa not made up 2 or 6 or 12.
Well 2 will make a pair instead of Set and 6 would make a complete set. Dont we buy plates, glass, etc everything of 6 to make it a complete Set.
I dont know how it got its name. But it means 3 spongy dosa served with coconut chutney and aloo masala.



Shall we see how we make this yummy dosa

What You Need :
1 and 1/2 cup rice
3/4th cup aval/poha
1/2 cup urad daal
1 tsp methi dana
Salt to taste

Method to cook:
Soak rice, aval and urad daal along with methi overnight.
Grind with water to a fine paste.
Allow the batter to ferment. Mix salt to it.
Heat your dosa pan. Add a little butter/ghee for greasing. Take a ladder full of batter.
Pour it over pan and spread it evenly.
Cook on both sides.
Serve with Coconut Chutney and Aloo Masala.

7 comments: