Roasted Coconut Rice




I always wanted to try this. But then it never happened that I have coconut available in my kitchen. If at all it was , used it in some other recipe. Then I saw this recipe in a documentary being shown at television. They were showing Kerela where food was being cooked in large scale for 100-200 factory workers. They roasted coconut instead of using coconut milk.. It was quiet easy..and to my surprise it came out very very flavourful . I had it with some sambar..

Ingredients :2 cups Cooked Rice
2 tsp Oil for tempering
1 tsp Channa Daal
1 tsp Urad Daal
6-7 curry leaves
Pinch of hing.
2 tsp grated coconut
2 dry red chilies broken
Salt to taste

Method to cook:Heat oil in pan. Add dry red chilies. Add hing, salt, curry leaves , urad daal and channa daal. Add coconut and roast till it turns brown.
Add rice and mix really well.. and its ready to be served..

6 comments:

  1. I bet this must be very fragrant and delicious. We eat a lot of coconut rice but we use coconut cream which goes great with curry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this used to be my school days lunch box dish, mommy used to make often. Here its so hard to find coconut:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this rice..so comforting and yumm

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite variety rice Soma...yours looks superb :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our fav lunch box rice with potatoes. Delicious rice.

    ReplyDelete