Rasmalai- A Heavenly Delight


The first time I tried this recipe was a complete disaster. I was upset not because the sweet turned out bad but because I wasted food. I feel very guilty when I waste food or burn food due to my carelessness. I do a lot of research before I try any new recipe so that I don't end up throwing it away. If not good or OK , it should be at least eatable.

My first attempt of rasmalai was as said turned out very bad. The milk portion turned sour and balls came out hard like rubber. It looked good and tempting. But you could not even have one. And then I never thought if giving any sweet a try. What if I have to throw milk again. I am very skeptical about making sweets even though I have 32 sweet teeth.

This is after some two years that I dared to experiment again. I went through many recipes. I went through vah re vah and then I decided to boil the paneer balls in boiling sweetened water in pot rather than boil them in pressure cooker. Every pressure cooker has a different setting like microwave oven. You cannot rely on the statistics given in a recipe to match with your microwave oven or pressure cooker . I believe its with trial and error that you get things right and know the exact setting. You r lucky if youget it right the 1st time.

Anyways, I did some changes to the measurement portion. The milk was a little thinner consistency rather than turning it to a complete rabdi. Replaced pistachios with almonds. I always powder cardamom fresh rather than using store bought powder. Believe me, it smells great.

Ingredients :

4 cups milk reduced to little less than 3/4th by cooking on low flame and continuously stirring to prevent burning . Add 4-5 strand of kesar to get the color and flavour while cooking.
Add 1/2 cup sugar (can increase/decrease quantity depending on how sweet you want). For me 1/2 cup sugar is just perfect.
Take two green cardamom. Remove the skin and powder the seeds with belan /chakla or mortal and pestle. Add it at the end so that the aroma remains intact.

For the Paneer balls :

Take 5 cups of whole cream milk. Bring it to a boil. Take 1 tbsp of vinegar and add it to the milk.The milk will start curdling. As soon as you see the light green water, add 10-12 ice cubes. This is important to get very soft paneer as adding ice-cubes stops the milk curdling process(tip from vah re vah). Now drain the water and hang it for 10-15 minutes to remove any water.

Mash the paneer very well with hands. 1st time I did with food processor. May be that was the reason why it turned out hard. This time I hand mashed it (Apna Hath Jagannath, very true). I mashed it for a very long time about 15-20 minutes). Make Small Soft Balls and flatten them with hand. This will make about 10-11 pieces. Also, while making balls, cover the ready balls so that they are not exposed to air and loose moisture. They will break due to cracks when you pour into hot boiling water.

Meal while boil 5 cups of water with 1 cup of sugar. Once, water starts boiling , add the paneer balls to it. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes. The paneer balls will double in volume. Gently remove them from water and place it in a bowl containing Luke warm water.

After 10 minutes, when paneer cools down, take one by one in hand and press them gently to remove excess water. You should be very gently while handling paneer balls.
Place them in a bowl, add the flavoured milk prepared above. Garnish with almonds or dry fruit of your choice. Serve chilled. It is truly a Divine food.

16 comments:

  1. thats my favourite...Soma.. i can hv it any time..
    didn get what u meant by..adding paneer will stop milk curdling process.. should it br ice cubes.. did u cook the paneer baals in a sauce pan or pressure cooker..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks J for stopping by my blog..Yes its ice-cubes..Thanks for catching it.. I shud read my blog b4 I post it..:P ..I cooked in saucepan. I avoid using pressure cooker.. I tried last time with pressure cooker and it didnt turn out good..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slurpp, thats tempting rasmalai, even i dont like wasting foods...my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one (only one!) sweet tooth yet so powerful 'cuz sometimes I can't control myself. Even though I've been restricted from them, I can never say no to rasamalai! They're so cute and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very delicious dessert,heavenly indeed....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truely its heavenly , just love this dessert, didnt know how to make it but seeing your recipe am thinking to try it very soon....

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this dish..thnx for the timely tips

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love rasmalai...yours looks fantstica nd yummy:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love rasmalai very much and I feel like having it now. Looks tempting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superb Soma...they look so inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Has come out perfect and looks superb ... Nice try and thanks for your sharing the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. its really a heavenly delight....looks superb and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect and yummy sweet. Do collect your award from my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this has turned out so good..looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love rasmalai! This looks so perfect and delicious! Thanks for the recipe..

    ReplyDelete