Chaulai ki Bhaji (Kalama Saag/Red Spinach Fry)


I love any kind of green leafy vegetable. There was a time when I used to eat this only with 2 roti. Me and my cousins used to compete as to who would finish off foof first at grannys place. The one who did was the best child. However, my diet has changed a lot now. I eat many more things and cook many more things..But still my granny is the best cook I feel (everybody feels that I know). She makes some awesome traditional food. How much I miss her now. This bhaji I post here used to grow in her kitchen garden. .. Gone are those days. We cousins hardly see each other now..

Ingredients :
1 bunch green bhaji
4-5 rice wadi crushed
2 big onion chopped
2 green chili chopped
10-15 whole garlic pods
1 tsp masoor daal soaked in water for 2 minutes
Salt to taste
1 tbsp mustard oil
1 tsp cumin seeds

Method to cook:
Wash the bhaji properly under running water and chop them.
Heat mustard oil in a kadai till it reaches smoking point. Lower the flame at this point.
Add the rice wadi and cook for some time.Take it out and keep aside.
Add cumin seeds, chopped onion, green chilies and whole garlic and cook till onion turns brown.
Add chopped bhaji , rice wadi , soaked masoor daal and salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes. The leafs will release its own water.
Bhaji needs to be cooked in that water only. If it dries out, add splash of water and cook again.
Your bhaji is ready to eat with rice and daal/roti.

15 comments:

  1. lovely curry dear...it sounds sdlicious and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your red spinach fry sounds simple and delicious!!! I love to eat greens too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy & healthy red spinach fry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy and delicious saag! My mom used to grow greens in her garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy curry..I love anything wid greenss...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear,

    I know, you're a Great cook and I adore you blog.

    I am hosting an Event in my site about Kitchen Mishaps!

    Please check it out:

    http://www.kitchentantra.com/2009/12/kitchen-mishaps-event-announcement.html

    Would you like to participate?

    I will greatly appreciate your contribution.

    Thanks
    Malar Gandhi
    www.kitchentantra.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks so delicious and healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a delicious and healthy curry :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice recipe.. Hi friend this is vijay here.. ur doing a really good job.. can we exchange links..

    ReplyDelete
  10. New dish..So healthy and nice recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds interesting. Very healthy also.

    ReplyDelete