Goan Prawn Cake

Coconut Prawn cake is an old age recipe from the lands of Goa. I read it in one of the books of Anjum Anand which was presented to me by my husband in one of his trips to Scottland.
I was thinking of trying this since a long time.
Now that I have tried and it has come out really well, I am sharing it with you all with due respect to the Author. I have made slight variation though to it. We don’t take wine. Hence, I have replaced white wine vinegar with normal vinegar. Have changed quantity according to the taste of my family as well.

Ingredients for Prawn Coconut cake :
250 gm prawns
250-300 gm Prawns
2 medium onions chopped
2 tomato chopped
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 cinnammon stick
4-5 cloves
5 whole black pepper
½ tsp cumin seeds
5-6 dry red chilies
3 tbsp oil
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp vinegar

Grind ginger garlic paste along with whole spices.
Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan . Add onion and cook till brown. Add the chili paste and cook for 2 minutes more.Add tomato and splash of water and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the prawns, sugar , vinegar and cook till prawn is well cooked and dry.

For cake batter :
1 cup ground sugar
1 cup oil
2 eggs (can also use 3 eggs)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup coconut
½ cup milk
3/4th tsp oil
For the cake batter , beat oil and sugar well. Add eggs one after another and blend till soft and creamy. Add grated coconut, milk , flour , baking powder, baking soda, salt and blend to a thick consistency.

Grease a baking pan. Pour ¾ batter into the tray. Spread the cooked prawns above it .
Pour the remaining batter. Bake for 45 minutes at 200 degree centigrade.

Cut into pieces and serve with salad.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Very new to me! Looks tasty and wish I could grab some :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..........nice post dear.yummy...yum..dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard about this dish, such a delicious cake Soma, feel like grabbing from the click..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard abt this one..sounds really interesting and looks very delicious too....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow looks so delicious, makes me drool. yummy one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must try this out as this is something I have never had.
    By the way you are right about the Khadki cemetery -and for more details just click on the picture.
    (most of my pictures are linked to my Flickr site)

    ReplyDelete