Chicken Rezala - A Mughlai Dish


I saw the recipe in one of the episodes of Chakh Le India on NDTV Good times. A short brief of the show - The chef/host of the show (Aditya Bal - Model turned TV Host/ Cook) travels to various parts of the country, eats the finest plates and then cooks out a regional dish . 

He went to Bhopal(heart of India) in that episode and went to Hotel Jahan Numa Palace, a great heritage hotel out there. The head chef of the palace cooked Chicken Rezala. The dish was simple , mildly spiced and looked great.


When I cooked this recipe last weekend, it came out fabulously. All chicken lovers must try out this recipe.
The Rezala is an Urdu Word and means thin white gravy in oil.

I had originally posted this recipe as Bhopali Chicken Rasala. I apologise for the mistake done. This is corrected now. I have  made some changes to the recipe  which I have mentioned below as I thought it would taste better.

What You Need:

1 kilo chicken
2 and half cups beaten curd
3 big onion - ground to a fine paste
3 medium onion- chopped into julians, soaked in milk and deep fried. (I skipped to reduce fat content and instead fried in the oil).
1 tsp cumin seeds (I added to the original recipe)
1 tsp fennel seeds (I added to the original recipe)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tpp red chili powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 cup chopped coriander
1 tbsp dry mint leaves  (I added to the original recipe)
5-6 green chilies blanched. The sharp taste of chilies and curbed this way.
3 table spoon - ground poppy seeds(khuskhus)
Salt to taste
3 tbsp oil

Method to cook:

Heat oil in a pan and cook the chicken pieces till they turn brown. Remove chicken and keep aside.







Add sliced onions and fry till onion turns pink.
Add ground onions and everything turns brown.
Add cumin seeds and fennel seeds.



Add ground poppy seeds, curd and chopped coriander leaves

Add cumin powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder


Add roughly broken green chilies . Add salt to taste. Add dry mint leaves. Cover and cook till chicken is done.

Tastes best with chapatti


7 comments:

  1. I liked this one coz this is derived from Biryani and Biryani is my fav dish. This chicken dish is really a different one....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this episode of 'Chakh Le India',and Googled it since I was too lazy to write the recipe in my recipe book.Your blog appeared on the top.Really unique dish,I am sure will turn out great.
    Thank you for sharing!:-)
    P.S. I am a happy follower of your blog now,feel free to drop by mine!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh this curry looks amazing ...looking forward trying it .do visit my blog when u find time ..amazed by your recipes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sathya Priya. You have got a lovely blog... Have book marked some to try out..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You Food World for the appreciation !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I visit your post. And I like it. plz keep continue.Thanks!!
    Laxmi Nagar

    ReplyDelete